Monday, 27 February 2012

Doors and sets

This film is set inside a flat, because of this most of the sets are walls and doors, i wanted to make these stand out and look either really nice or really grotty, for Sally's bedroom i needed it to look really nice and pretty, for the hallways and rest of the house i needed it to look scummy and unclean, these are a few pictures of these sets.


Here are some props i've been working on:

A plate

Some mugs

And a kettle

Puppet making

The making of the puppets is still ongoing at the moment but it is coming along quite well.

The heads of the two main puppets

The two armatures side by side showing the sizes of both puppets (Biggest one is Tobias, smallest Sally)

Making a bed

Here is a bed I have made for Sally’s room, it is supposed to look really nice and a lot better than the rest of the house witch is filthy.

The finished armature in the bedroom set

Wednesday, 15 February 2012


The main characters In my film are Sally and Tobias, I now have a full body scale of Tobias to work from for the puppet, I have also been given a maquet of Tobias’s head to use as reference when working on the puppet.

More soon

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Puppets and armatures

I started off making armatures just as I always have, wire, foam and miliput, quite simple but effective:

I then covered the puppet in cotton wool and latex:

But I realised that the amount of animation I could do with these puppets were quite limited, also I felt that the simplistic creation and easily breakable armatures were a little amateurish for a full on animated film such as this.
I wanted this film to be the best thing that I have ever created so far.

So for this film I wanted to use some professional ball and socket armatures, I ordered a couple online, they were a bit pricey but I think that they will be worth it, the animation I can get out of them will be far more than I have ever been able to in the past.

So this was what I got for my £80 odd quid, some metal, some balls and some little bronze pieces.

With the help of a few fellow course mates I started building.

I now have a fully finished armature, it took a while to build but with a saw, some glue and the right tools these things are pretty simple to knock together, you just need to make sure you take your time and read the instructions.

I would say I am very happy with the way this first one has turned out, I hope that I am as satisfied with the second.
Next step for this puppet is foaming and bulking out the body, I will update again soon.